South Refineries Company (SRC), a subsidiary of the Iraqi Ministry of Oil, awarded Axens the Basic Engineering Design and License contracts for the construction of the new refinery in Maissan, Southern Irak. Axens will supply the following process technologies for the refinery:
- a Naphtha Hydrotreater - 35,100 BPSD (barrel per stream day)
- a CCR Reformer (OctanizingTM) for gasoline production - 24,500 BPSD
- a Vacuum Gas Oil (VGO) Hydrotreater - 56,300 BPSD - producing a moderate sulfur feedstock for the Fluid Catalytic Cracker (FCC),
- a Deasphalted Oil Hydrotreater based on HyvahlTM technology - 27,600 BPSD
- a saturated Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) treatment unit (SulfrexTM) - 278,000 MTPA (metric ton per annum),
- an unsaturated LPG treatment (SulfrexTM) - 399,400 MTPA
The refinery will have a capacity of 150,000 BPSD and will deliver high quality products mainly for the domestic market.