Africa Oil Enters Next Exploration Phase in Block 9

Source: www.gulfoilandgas.com 1/24/2011, Location: Africa

Africa Oil Corp. is pleased to announce that Africa Oil, together with its joint venture partner, Lion Energy Corp., has entered into the First Additional Exploration Phase under the Block 9 Production Sharing Contract Agreement (PSC) in Kenya. As a result of the withdrawal of its two other joint venture partners, Africa Oil will now hold a 66.7% working interest in the PSC and has been approved by the government as Operator of Block 9. Lion will hold the remaining 33.3%. As a condition of entering the First Additional Exploration Phase, 25% of the original contract area will be relinquished. The First Additional Exploration Phase commenced on December 31, 2010 and will expire on December 31, 2013 with a one well work commitment (minimum depth 1,500 meters).

During the previous exploration period, the joint venture partners drilled one well to a depth of 5,085 metres and discovered a potentially large gas accumulation. Gas shows and petrophysical analysis of wireline logs indicated multiple gas pay zones totaling approximately 91 meters in Lower Cretaceous sandstones. Preliminary testing on two of these potential gas pay zones was undertaken, with only minimal flow of gas from each zone. Analysis of the test results indicates that neither test was in communication with the extensive fracture network proven by the abundant fluid losses during drilling and the Formation Micro Imaging (FMI) log. The well was plugged and an additional testing program, which may include fracture and acid stimulation, is being considered to assess the production potential of these reservoirs. Studies on commercialization of this gas, including possible gas to power or small scale LNG projects will be conducted in parallel to the possible testing program.

In addition, the northwestern portion of the Block contains the Kaisut Basin which is an extension of the Anza Basin oil play being pursued by Africa Oil and its joint venture partners in Block 10A. Several large leads have been identified in this area on existing 2D seismic data and a 500 to 700 kilometer seismic survey is being planned for later this year aimed at upgrading these leads into drillable prospects.

Africa Oil President and CEO Keith Hill commented, "We are very pleased to assume majority interest and operatorship of this large and highly prospective block in the Anza rift trend. With the possible existing gas discovery and the upside of a highly prospective oil play, we see this block complementing our existing East African rift basin exploration portfolio."


Philippines >>  3/23/2023 - PETRONAS and Phoenix Petroleum have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to jointly explore a partnership opportunity in the Philippines in the ...
Norway >>  3/21/2023 -  Longboat Energy, the full cycle emerging E&P business, announces its full-year results for the period ended 31 December 2022.

High...


Mexico >>  3/17/2023 - Eni announces a new discovery on the Yatzil exploration prospect in Block 7, located in the mid-deep water of the Cuenca Salina in the Sureste Basin, ...
Namibia >>  3/16/2023 - Global is pleased to announce its interim results for the six months ended 31 December 2022.

Operational
Recent purchas...


Australia >>  3/15/2023 - Perth Basin energy company Norwest Energy has advised that the Lockyer-2 gas appraisal well was spudded on 15 March 2023.

Lockyer-2 is a do...

Oman >>  3/15/2023 - Tethys Oil reports that the fiscal metering equipment for the extended well test on Al Jumd has arrived at the hook up point, and installation is ongo...

Related Categories: Camp Building  Cleaning Equipment, Services  Communication  Corrosion Products/Services  Development  Exploration  Food Supplies  General  Labor Services  Land & Leasing  Mine Clearance  Oil & Gas Companies  Production  Service Companies  Skilled Labors  Transportation, 4X4 Trucks  Unskilled Labors  Utility Systems  Waste Disposal  Water Supply Services  Welding Products/Services 

Related Articles: Camp Building  Cleaning Equipment, Services  Communication  Corrosion Products/Services  Development  Exploration  Food Supplies  General  Labor Services  Land & Leasing  Mine Clearance  Oil & Gas Companies  Production  Service Companies  Skilled Labors  Transportation, 4X4 Trucks  Utility Systems  Waste Disposal  Water Supply Services  Welding Products/Services 


Gulf Oil and Gas
Copyright 2023 ICT All rights reserved. - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy.