LyondellBasell (LYB) announced that Bolivia's state-owned petrochemical company, Yacimientos Petroliferos Fiscales Bolivianos (YPFB), has selected LyondellBasell 5th Generation Spheripol polypropylene process technology for a 250 KT per year plant in Tarija, Plurinational State of Bolivia.
Mario Salazar Gonzales, Petrochemical Plants Manager at YPFB stated, “We selected the Spheripol process for Bolivia’s first polymer plant because of its superior economics, proven track record and broad product slate.”
“The Spheripol process is the most widely practiced polypropylene technology in the world and is well established in Latin America,” said Dan Coombs, executive vice president of Global Olefins & Polyolefins and Technology at LyondellBasell. “Customers appreciate the Spheripol process’s track record of high plant operability, leading operating cost, excellent product properties and the ability to make rapid grade changes.”
LyondellBasell is a leading licensor of polypropylene and polyethylene technologies with more than 250 polyolefin process licenses. Spheripol is the leading polypropylene process technology with more than 22 million tons of licensed capacity. It combines globally recognized quality polypropylene grades with leading monomer efficiency and investment costs to make it the technology of choice.
In addition to the Spheripol process, LyondellBasell’s portfolio of licensed polyolefin technologies and associated technical services is comprised of:
- Spherizone – The breakthrough Spherizone multi-zone circulating reactor provides a unique and innovative platform with flexible operating conditions to manufacture added-value polypropylene with novel architecture and enhanced properties
- Metocene PP – technology for the production of specialty polypropylene products using single-site catalyst systems
- Lupotech – the leading high-pressure tubular and autoclave process technologies for the production of LDPE and EVA copolymers
- Hostalen – a low-pressure slurry process for the production of high-performance multimodal HDPE
- Spherilene – flexible, gas-phase process technology for the production of LLDPE, MDPE and HDPE