Senex Energy Limited (SXY) announced it has entered into a binding agreement with Australia Pacific LNG to acquire undeveloped gas fields PL 209 and PL 445, adjacent to Senex’s Atlas natural gas development, for $80 million with Atlas production to increase to 30 PJ/year in 2024.
- Senex plans to expand Atlas production (including PL 209 and PL 445) to a 30 PJ/year plateau in CY24 (currently expanding to 18 PJ/year), comprising half of the end-FY25 production target of 60 PJe/year1
- PL 209 and PL 445 include a 77 km2 development-ready Northern Area, comparable in reservoir quality to the adjacent Atlas field, and a 77 km2 Southern Area requiring future appraisal
- Estimated Ultimate Recoverable (EUR) volume of 184 PJ in Northern Area2, with additional ~600 PJ
estimated gas-in-place in Southern Area requiring future appraisal
- No existing gas supply obligations or domestic marketing commitments providing portfolio flexibility
- Initial acquisition cost of $50 million, with a further $30 million payment upon receipt of satisfactory Commonwealth environmental approvals, funded from an acquisition bridge facility and existing cash and debt facilities
Managing Director and CEO Ian Davies said the acquisition increased the quality and scale of Senex’s natural
gas supply portfolio, providing portfolio flexibility to further support Senex’s customers and increase supply to the east coast gas market.
“The acquisition of these undeveloped gas fields adjacent to Atlas continues Senex’s growth trajectory in the Surat Basin and reinforces the company’s low-cost, hub-and-spoke infrastructure operating model.
“Atlas is a high-quality development, providing reliable, affordable and sustainable supplies of natural gas to Australian manufacturers, supporting the economy and jobs in local communities,” Mr Davies said.
Senex natural gas portfolio and organic growth plans
In August 2021, Senex announced FID for the expansion of Atlas gas production by 50% to 18 PJ/year. This
acquisition will allow the further expansion of Atlas to plateau production of 30 PJ/year in 202.
Transaction details and timetable
Acquisition: Senex to acquire 100% of Petroleum Leases PL 209 and PL 445 from Australia Pacific LNG Pty Ltd (APLNG), immediately adjacent to the Atlas development.
Consideration: A cash payment at Completion of $50 million, and a further cash payment of $30 million
upon receipt of satisfactory Commonwealth environmental approvals. Acquisition funded from an acquisition bridge facility and existing cash and debt facilities.
Conditions Precedent: Acquisition subject to limited and customary conditions and consents.
Completion timing: Completion expected by early 2022