Hexagon Purus and CIMC Enric have previously signed joint venture agreements in 2021 (ref: March 2, 2021, announcement) encompassing cylinder and systems production for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEVs) and hydrogen distribution in China and Southeast Asia, which is expected to become the world’s largest zero emission hydrogen vehicle and distribution market.
Today, Hexagon Purus and CIMC Enric announced the signing of investment agreements to establish a joint production facility in Shijiazhuang, Hebei and the CIMC-Hexagon New Energy Technologies management office and engineering hub in Beijing Daxing District International Hydrogen Development Zone. In addition, the Shijiazhuang and Beijing Daxing governments have made a strong commitment to support the development of the CIMC-HEXAGON business in their regions through 2030.
- Construction of the new composite cylinder and systems manufacturing facility in Shijiazhuang is expected to commence in Q2 2022, and the facility will house Type 3 and Type 4 hydrogen cylinder production and systems assembly capacity.
- The CIMC-HEXAGON New Energy Technologies management office and engineering hub will be located in Beijing Daxing District International Hydrogen Development Zone, one of China’s leading areas for advancement of hydrogen technologies and application scenarios.
- The facilities will set a benchmark for highly automated production of composite hydrogen pressure vessels from 350 to 700 bar intended for the Chinese and Southeast Asian markets.
- The product portfolio includes hydrogen fuel storage systems for on-road vehicles, rail and maritime applications.
- The new facility is expected to create several hundred jobs in Shijiazhuang and Beijing and will also support business for regional suppliers.
“As part of our global expansion program, CIMC-HEXAGON will become the hub for high quality and highly automated manufacturing of high-pressure composite hydrogen storage cylinders and systems for China and Southeast Asia. We are looking forward to making a contribution to the local transportation sector, addressing the substantial growth potential for hydrogen technology in the region as a reliable supplier of advanced technology," says Morten Holum, CEO of Hexagon Purus.
Leo Yang, CEO of CIMC ENRIC adds, “CIMC ENRIC, through CIMC-HEXAGON and the broad spectrum of Hydrogen related products and services of CIMC HYDROGEN, offers a unique portfolio of total solutions to vehicle fleet owners, railway and maritime operators. Shijiazhuang has been CIMC Enric’s manufacturing base for over two decades. We are confident that this environment offers our Joint Venture with Hexagon Purus a modern and industrialized environment that can deliver a competitive and highly skilled workforce, as well as strong support from the local government”.