Last week's reduced wind generation was replaced by thermal power plants

Source: www.gulfoilandgas.com 2/12/2024, Location: Not categorized

Wind power production, which was at a record high in early February, halved last week, while thermal power plant production rose. The return of cool weather sent electricity prices soaring across the region, particularly in Finland, where they jumped nearly 10-fold.

On February 5-11, the average weekly wholesale price of electricity in the Lithuanian price zone of the Nord Pool exchange grew by 49 percent compared to the previous week. from 64.56 Eur/MWh to 96.2 Eur/MWh. In Latvia, the average wholesale electricity price was the same as in Lithuania. And in Estonia, the price of electricity reached 99.27 EUR/MWh.

"The cold weather that returned to Northern Europe last week resulted in increased electricity prices throughout the region. The biggest change was recorded in Finland, where in the last week of January the price of electricity was the lowest in Europe and reached only 11 EUR/MWh, and last week it even rose to 104 EUR/MWh. The main reason for the change was the sharp decrease in the generation of wind power plants, which was replaced by the more expensive production of thermal power plants. In Lithuania, wind production decreased by half, while thermal power plants produced almost three times more - about 54 GWh. The pre-planned test of unit 8 of the Elektrenai complex on Thursday, which coincided with the highest electricity demand last week, contributed to this," says Aiste Krasauskiene, head of Litgrid's Market Development Department.

Electricity consumption in Lithuania last week remained the same as the week before - 261 GWh. In Lithuania, local power plants provided 59 percent. of the country's electricity consumption*. In total, 154 GWh of electricity was produced in Lithuania last week - 12 percent. down from the previous week, when local production reached 176 GWh.

Wind power plants produced the most electricity in Lithuania last week, although their production decreased by 50%. from 119 GWh to 60 GWh. Thermal power plants generated nearly three times as much as the week before, rising from 20 GWh to 54 GWh. The production of hydroelectric plants increased by 14 percent. - from 16 GWh to 22 GWh. During the week, wind farms produced 39 percent. Thermal power plants - 35 percent, hydro power plants - 14 percent, and other power plants - 12 percent of electricity generated in Lithuania.

According to the import/export (sweet) ratio, 42 percent. of the country's electricity demand* were imported. Compared to the previous week, total imports increased by 29 percent, from 142 GWh to 183 GWh. When differentiating the country's imports, 63 percent were imported from Scandinavia via the NordBalt connection, and the remaining 37 percent. electricity entered the country through the border with Poland.

The total flow of electricity from Lithuania grew by 58 percent. from 44 GWh to 70 GWh. 97 percent of exports from Lithuania were directed to Latvia, and 3 percent to Poland via "LitPol Link" connection.

For the flow of electricity, the utilization of the bandwidth of the "LitPol Link" connection reached 4 percent. in the direction of Poland and 83 percent. in the direction of Lithuania. NordBalt's bandwidth utilization was 0 percent. in the direction of Sweden and 97 percent. in the direction of Lithuania.





Gulf Oil and Gas
Copyright 2023 ICT All rights reserved. - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy.