In 1934, the Kuwait Oil Company Ltd. was established by the Anglo-Persian Oil Company, now known as the British Petroleum Company and Chevron Corporation. In 1938 oil was found in commercial quantities in the Burgan Field. New fields were developed and export facilities were expanded, resulting in the construction of the North and South Piers, the Sea Island, and the Single Point Mooring. In 1975 the Kuwait Government took over 100% of the Kuwait Oil Company. In 1980 Kuwait Petroleum Corporation (KPC) was established to bring all state owned oil companies under one entity. Kuwait Oil Company's responsibilities under the KPC's umbrella are the exploration, drilling, and production of oil and gas within the State of Kuwait. Kuwait Oil Company is also involved in the storage of crude oil and delivery to tankers for export.
The Company activities had extended to include exploration operations, on-shore and off-shore surveys, drilling of test wells, and developing of producing fields in addition to crude and natural gas exploration.